Thursday, May 10, 2007

My letter

Edit: Here's the bonnet pic!



So today’s origami project is a little bonnet. I mentioned in my previous post that I had an Origami-a-day calendar: well, this is today’s. Unfortunately, the instructions aren’t all that clear, and I’m stuck at the point where ... never mind. I was looking at the instructions and the folded piece in order to write an explanation of where I was stuck, and then *poof* I got it. (It was the point where you valley fold the end of the paper to make the bonnet’s hem. I don’t think I was reading the instructions very carefully, because if I’d looked at it properly, then I would have understood.

I’m not exactly doing the origami in order, so the next piece I’m folding is a paper hat.
James was telling me this morning that I should post on my swap meet find – the 1840s letter – because he finds it so fascinating. Apparently. I’m not sure if he’s sarcastic, so if he is, then this is really going to bore him.

I bought the letter for $6. It is fairly unintelligible, but I think the address is to: A Stevenson Esq., B L Co, Langholm. I think that’s in Scotland. The paper itself is a bit damaged, with deep creases in the folds and some discoloration. There is one large page, which has been folded in half, then glassboard folded, and then folded over into a third of its size (making an envelop). The letter obviously had a seal, as there is a clear imprint on the paper; there is also a swirly design embedded in the paper. Inside the letter is as follows:

“New... 18 June 1840 –

“Dear Sir,

“I think that it ... no more than common courtesy to wait the arrival of the Post ... before noting Bills and being in such a luxury to extend the .... At least ... that it is the practice with all the ... Branch Banks at Warwick to make noting Bills nearly the last thing ... shutting up and also at the National Laugholm.

“...

“yours ...

“Aml Armstrong”

Eventually I’ll work out the words where I inserted the ellipses, but for now, who knows?
I don’t normally buy letters when I’m out collecting, but I thought it was such an interesting example of history. Most people would find a letter about a bill to be mundane – heck, I know I do every time my utilities arrive – but this is a perfect example of my comments in my previous post. In this letter, there is a snapshot of time, expression, language, style and fashion, and pure commonality. I was reading the National Geographic yesterday (April 2007 issue) on the plight of our sea-going creatures. It noted that in New Zealand, they try to preserve areas of their seas that are both unique and average. By doing so, they think they can preserve a wider range of sea life. Perhaps my letter is just a way of preserving a little of the average of someone’s everyday life.

... Now get this thing out of my pocket, it’s starting to creep me out! It’s a bit creepy carrying around someone’s bill from the 1800s.

No comments: