Monday, May 28, 2007

State of the coin

Today I was standing in Central Park, waiting for Taki. I had my hand in my pocket, and I discovered a coin - ok, not that exciting. But I looked at the coin, and realized how different it was. Did you know that the US Mint has made special quarters, one for each state?

The NY quarter, which was produced in 2001, has the Statue of Liberty on it. I didn't even know they made these types of coins, I just figured one coin was the same everywhere. But apparently, they've been producing state quarters since 1999, and are going to finish making them next year. This year, the mint is releasing coins for: Montana, Washington, Idaho, Wyoming and Utah.

So really, discovering a coin in your pocket can be really interesting. I'm going to keep my NY state quarter, maybe make a nice little origami frame for it. Maybe one day it'll be worth something. (You can find out more about the state coins here.)

No comments: